Time Wise

Quartz or Automatic?

Q: I'm thinking about buying an expensive watch, but I'm confused over the quartz-versus-automatic issue. Good manufacturers such as Cartier make both. Why is automatic more expensive and considered better?


A: Everyone tells me that quartz keeps better time, even a Swatch that costs well under a C-note. Self-winding watches are more complicated mechanically. That's why they cost more. Why are they considered better or, perhaps, more chic? Why is a tow truck-prone Jaguar XKE hipper than an Acura NSX, which performs circles around it? Aura. But aside from complexity and retro fashion, self-winders are preferred by a surprising number of people because they think wearing a quartz watch isn't healthy. Are they nuts? Maybe. But you know how people feel about crystal power. I have both kinds, so I'm hedging my bets on the quartz/crystal issue, as I am with my policy of not intentionally eating anything that comes out of a microwave oven.

Timex Quartz Watch








No comments:

Post a Comment